When browsing for healthful food products along the isles of your favorite grocery store, you may come across products that apparently seem to be very similar, because they are advertised as “natural” or “organic”. Not many consumers are aware of fundamental differences in growing organic as opposed to natural products. Our California Gourmet organic raisins display fundamental differences from "natural" raisins marketed by other companies. Here are a few facts:
- Have been farmed with using chemicals/pesticides
- May have been sprayed/coated with chemicals after picking
- May show residues of chemicals/pesticides, acceptable as long as they stay within FDA allowed quantities
- Vines and grapes that give raisins that will be sold as “Natural raisins” routinely get sprayed with chemicals and pesticides by conventional farmers, multiple times during the year. Conventional (Non-Organic) farmers that produce Natural Raisins spray different chemicals fertilizers on vines for fertilizing, and other chemicals for pest and weed control, sometimes even chemicals to enhance sweetness of raisins & sometimes chemicals to prevent their molding in case of rain.
CALIFORNIA GOURMET ORGANIC RAISINS:
- Not allowed to be farmed with any kinds of pesticides
- As CCOF Organic certified farmers, we must comply with OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute)-listed materials for pest control, fertilizing etc.
- We exclusively use mechanical methods to conduct weed control or beneficial insects for pest control
- We use compost for fertilizing
- We do not add any kind of materials to enhance the sweetness of our raisins, only the power of sunshine
- We do not spray any materials to preserve our raisins from molding.